Monday, May 7

Peoplemover

I love to read and research everything related to Disney, Disneyland, Walt Disney, etc and consider myslef an amatuer Disneyland historian, Marsha has another word for it though, she calls me a freak! I thought I would share some of my reasearch with everybody. I am gathering the history of Disneyland rides, past and present and started with the Peoplemover. So if you like Disneyland enjoy, if not you can call me a freak like Marsha does!

“We are now beginning a grand circle tour of Tomorrowland aboard the Peoplemover, the first system of its kind in the world”

Peoplemover Attraction PosterThe PeopleMover presented by Goodyear opened on July 2, 1967 as part of the New Tomorrowland. The ride lasted approximately 16 minutes and during your relaxing trip you could listen to commentary from the trains audio system that would give you facts and details that corresponded with the area you were cruising through. The tour started in the center of Tomorrowland and took you through Adventure Thru Inner Space / Star Tours, Star Trader, StarCade, Space Mountain, Carousel of Progress (today Innovations), Super Speed Tunnel / “The World of Tron”, over the Autopia tracks and the Submarine Voyage lagoon, through the CircleVision pre-show area (today Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters) before dropping you back off at the center of Tomorrowland. From 1967 to 1987 the cars were one of four colors; red, blue, yellow or green with white roofs and then in 1987 they were all painted white with colored stripes. In 1977, the SuperSpeed Tunnel was added to the PeopleMover. It was located in the upper level of the Carousel Building. Originally race cars were projected on the walls of the tunnel engulfing the trains but in 1982 the projections were changed to scenes from the movie Tron. The PeopleMover closed permanently on August 21, 1995 and was replaced by the Rocket Rods on May 22, 1998. The Rocket Rods did not last very long and closed in April 2001, the structures that housed the original track for the PeopleMover remain as a reminder of what once was considered the future of transportation.

There is actually a website dedicated to bringing back the Peoplemover - People for the Peoplemover, check it out.

NEXT - Skyway

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. I have my own memories of the peoplemover. Ask your sister if she remembers the concussion I got on the peoplemover during our 9th grade day Disneyland trip. Sigh. those were the days!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Jason Culley said...

I will ask her next time I talk to her. When I was young I thought the Peoplemover was boring, I didn't appreciate it! I think it would be cool to have it back now.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home